Curried carrot soup recipe below
My husband is a creature of habit. If it were up to him, he would eat chapo and beans every day of the week. I like to mix American and Kenyan food, but he’s always skeptical of my concoctions. Tonight I announced we were having ugali and curried carrot soup (he sometimes eats ugali with with mala, sour milk, so I figured why not eat ugali with something that actually tastes good?). We went back and forth about chapo this and rice that, but I stood my ground.
In the end the soup turned out extremely tasty, but the ugali was a bit too thick (I was so focused on proving a point with the soup that I figured ugali wouldn’t be an issue… pride goes before a fall, eh?)
Anyway, Ray really enjoyed the combo, and as creatures of habit are wont to do, he’s asked that we have it again tomorrow with rice.
Curried carrot soup recipe
1 med onion, chopped
3 tbs oil
1 tsp curry powder
2 tsp flour
3 1/2 cups of beef stock
1lb carrots, peeled and sliced
Salt and pepper
1-2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbs cilantro
1-2 spicy peppers
1. Heat oil in large pan and cook onions until soft
2. Sprinkle curry powder and flour over the onions, stir, pour broth in, and bring to a boil
3. Add carrots, salt, pepper bring to a boil then simmer until carrots are tender
4. Remove pan from heat and purée the soup (I just mash it with a fork or pestle)
5. Bring soup to a simmer and add cilantro, lemon juice, and peppers.